The RAP has been around since 1980. RAP handles disputes between tenants and property owners. RAP does not provide legal help or advice. This website covers the RAP process and laws, tenant and owner rights and responsibilities, and online petitioning.
Keep up to date on the latest news from the City of Oakland Residential Rent Adjustment Program.
We are excited to release our new website and online petition system very soon! Please keep an eye out for upcoming changes to our system. We appreciate your cooperation and patience.
The Oakland City Council passed the Tenant Move Out Agreement Ordinance (TMOO), effective May 1, 2018, which subjects that owners to certain requirements if they wish to offer a tenant compensation to vacate their rental unit. To read more about this ordinance, click on the laws section under the about tab. The forms are also available under the required notices section.
The new CPI effective July 1, 2018 is 3.4%. Please visit the rent increase section located under the issues tab for more information on allowable rent increases.
You may find the ordinance and FAQ's on the Uniform Relocation Ordinance in the Law section located under the About tab.
Monday & Wednesday from 9am-12 noon Tuesday & Thursday from 10-12noon & 2-4pm Fridays have NO DROP IN HOURS Our address is 250 Frank Ogawa Plaza Ste. 5313 (drop in hours located on the 6th floor) Oakland, CA 94612. If you have any questions please call the office at (510) 238-3721
File and manage your tenant or property owner petition or appeal online through the RAP Online Petitioning system.
Know about your rights and responsibilities, and learn about your options to resolve tenant/owner disputes.
- Learn more about what to do if you have an unfixed problem in your unit, or if you are being charged for a service originally paid for by the owner.
- Learn more about annual allowed rent increases and justifications for rent increases above annual allowed amount.
- Learn more about the eviction process.
- Learn more about what rental units are exempt from the Rent Adjustment Program.
Find the most up-to-date resources to help you through the RAP process.
- Download RAP calculators for the most up-to-date sources for calculating rental costs. Download our Excel sheets below to get the correct formulas.
- Download notices required for the RAP, Just Cause for Eviction Ordinance, and Tenant Protection Ordinance.
- Check out Frequently Asked Questions about the RAP, the petition process, and your rights as a tenant or property owner.
- Information and contacts for legal assistance and advocacy organizations