The RAP has been around since 1980. RAP handles disputes between tenants and property owners. RAP does not provide legal help or advice. This website covers the RAP process and laws, tenant and owner rights and responsibilities, and online petitioning.
Know about your rights and responsibilities, and learn about your options to resolve tenant/owner disputes.
- Learn more about what to do if you have an unfixed problem in your unit, or if you are being charged for a service originally paid for by the owner.
- Learn more about annual allowed rent increases and justifications for rent increases above annual allowed amount.
- Learn more about the eviction process.
- Learn more about what rental units are exempt from the Rent Adjustment Program.
Keep up to date on the latest news from the City of Oakland Residential Rent Adjustment Program.
Staff will conduct question and answer workshops about the recent changes to the Rent Ordinance and Regulations or other concerns that property owners may have. The workshops are open to all residential property owners and managers. The workshops will take place on the last Wednesday of the month, except in December. The workshops will take place as follows for the remainder of 2017. CLICK LINK FOR MORE INFORMATION
File and manage your tenant or property owner petition or appeal online through the new RAP Online Petitioning system.
Your feedback is essential to helping the City improve our RAP online services to better meet your needs.
Rent Board meetings are held on the 2nd and 4th Thursday, click here for the latest schedule and to watch previous Rent Board meetings.
Find the most up-to-date resources to help you through the RAP process.
- Download RAP calculators for the most up-to-date sources for calculating rental costs. Download our Excel sheets below to get the correct formulas.
- Download notices required for the RAP, Just Cause for Eviction Ordinance, and Tenant Protection Ordinance.
- Check out Frequently Asked Questions about the RAP, the petition process, and your rights as a tenant or property owner.
- Information and contacts for legal assistance and advocacy organizations